Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Creative Gardening Tools...The Green Tool Cart

I love looking for interesting ways to reduce waste by finding an object used for one purpose and reusing it for an entirely new purpose.

One of the things that frustrated me last year is that every time I gardened, I had to make several trips back and forth to my gardening tools. Now that I've moved, the distance from where we store the gardening tools to the garden is even further, and since I'm inherently lazy, I don't want to walk any farther than I have to. Besides...I'd rather spend more time gardening than carting tools back and forth.

Enter Organic Gardening magazine. I couldn't tell you what issue I saw this idea in, but I immediately latched on. It was a picture of a golf cart and bag being used to haul long-handled gardening tools, such as rakes, manual cultivators, and so forth. I loved the idea and, being a frugal shopper (most of the time), I found a golf cart in decent shape for $1.50 at a garage sale last summer. The problem was that I couldn't find a reasonably priced golf bag that was still in decent shape. Most of the garage sale bags still had clubs in them, priced at anywhere from $10 to $25 for the set--way out of my price range. I did see a few for around $5, but they weren't in very good shape.

Last weekend, though, I hit the jackpot! I went to a ginormous church garage sale and found a bag in very nice shape--almost attractive, actually--without clubs for...$1! I brought it home, strapped it onto the cart, and for $2.50--voila!--a tool cart! The bag has some nice long side pockets on each side for my medium-handled tools, a net on the front to hold in some small-handled tools, and another pocket on the front for gardening gloves, short stakes, and other small supplies. (See photo.) The cart works great for hauling all the tools out to the garden at once and then back to the garage. I highly recommend searching for a bag and cart for YOUR gardening!

No comments: