Thursday, April 10, 2008

Good News on a Gloomy Day

I'm itching to get out into the garden, but the weather hasn't been the least bit cooperative. We've had quite a bit of rain lately here in Central Illinois, so I haven't been able to get out and work the garden soil to prepare for planting. I've had to content myself with planting seeds in Jiffy pellets and biodegradable planting cups and turning my enclosed porch into a greenhouse of sorts.

Today, it's gloomy again: overcast, rainy, with a chill wind blowing. I dragged myself out to the porch to turn on the space heater, seedlings mat, and grow light for the plants.

Oh. my. God.

I have seedlings sprouting!

The kohlrabi and green bean seeds are stretching their stems upward, seeking what barely passes for sunlight. It's been a mere 4 days since I planted these seeds, and already they are straining to LIVE!

I did a happy garden dance on our porch, which I think disturbed my roommate as he was on his way to work. Luckily, since he has to hurry to work, he won't have time to call the men in white coats.

When I was a kid, I did a bit of baking now and then, and I would sit in front of the oven, waiting for the cake to rise and get done so I could frost it and we could eat it. It seemed to take forever. Mom always told me "a watched pot never boils," but I can't help it. I'm a type-A personality and I want SOMETHING to happen RIGHT NOW!

I have been staring at the Jiffy pellets every day, wishing the seeds to grow. And my little seed-buddies rose to the task quickly and cheerfully. Only four days!

1 comment:

nofiltergirl said...

I love your 'garden happy dance' because that is exactly how I feel when I'm planting seeds and they sprout! I'm overjoyed to see activity right in front of my nose! And it never fails to thrill me each and every season. I'm so glad you feel that way also!