Friday, July 31, 2009

Getting Fresh Tonight

I'm pretty excited about this evening's event. Hubby and I are traveling about an hour or so to a homesteading farm to see a screening of the movie Fresh. Here's one review of the film:
  • Fresh Offers Hope for Our Food Future: Santa Barbara Independent
    As we continue to endure tough economic times, many of us turn to fast food and cheap grocery store options in order to feed ourselves without depleting our wallets. Fresh the Movie shows how these choices are unwise, unhealthy, and unsustainable. However, instead of focusing on this bleak reality, the film highlights examples of sustainable and natural farming, offering hope and an avenue for moving away from shortsighted industrialized farming techniques.
I found this event through LocalHarvest.org, a site where you can find farmer's markets, local farms, CSAs, co-ops, and other similiar items. I signed up to receive notification when new events become available, and that's how I heard about this screening of Fresh.

The screening is hosted by Antiquity Oaks, a homesteading farm in Cornell, Illinois. They raise dwarf goats on their farm and sell goats' milk soap and other products. Frankly, I'm about as excited to see the farm (especially the goats!) as I am to see the movie! I hope to be allowed to take a few pictures of the farm to share with you, but at the very least, I'll be able to provide you with a review of the movie. Stay tuned for more information!

No comments: